Everything You Need to Know About TMJ Treatment
Each human being have two matching ball-and-socket joints which allow your lower jaw to move sideways as well as open and close when you’re speaking and chewing. Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) disorders refer to symptoms and problems of these joints and their adjoining muscles. Dr. Dachowski and Dr. Sock are highly sought for their expertise in TMJ treatments in Doylestown and neighboring areas.
Treating TMJ in Doylestown
Dr. Dachowski and Dr. Sock will thoroughly assess and evaluate your TMJ symptoms to determine the proper course of treatment. Keep in mind that full cooperation with your health care providers will most likely provide favorable treatment results.
1. Basic TMJ Therapies
– Alternately apply cold packs and moist packs on the affected area.
– As much as possible, avoid actions which could further aggravate the symptoms such as yawning, chewing gum and singing.
– Try stress-reducing techniques such as yoga and meditation.
– Do mild to moderate exercises several times a day to help increase your ability to tolerate pain.
– Learn how to stretch, relax and massage the muscles surrounding your jaw.
2. Bite or Mouth Guards
– Mouth and bite guards have been used since the 1930s to treat symptoms such as clenching and teeth grinding.
– Individuals with TMJ have different reactions to wearing bite or mouth guards. Majority of them find them useful but some find it bothersome and unhelpful in relieving pain.
– There are different types of splints and you might want to ask Dr. Dachowski or Dr. Sock as to which type suits you best.
– Pain medications such as ibuprofen (Advil), acetaminophen (Tylenol) and other non-steroidal drugs.
– Corticosteroids to treat inflammation.
– Antidepressants and muscle relaxants.
Surgery in treating TMJ must be considered when other non-surgical alternatives have been utilized.
For more information on taking care of your teeth in Doylestown and nearby areas, you can visit our clinics at the Holy Redeemer Hospital and Heritage Gateway Building. Call us at 215.938.7860 or 267.247.5489 for an initial consultation. You can also opt to fill out this appointment request form. We look forward to your visit!
Comments are closed.